Friday, August 10, 2018

It Begins!



The drag car project starts. There were many ways that I could have taken the project, but I have settled on a simple old school drag car built on a budget.

To me an old school drag car is one with a stick shift, slicks, stripped of everything that is not needed, no power adder, a lumpy cam, a carb and a clean engine bay. I have been taking off the EFI parts that I will not need and selling them. I'll do the same with parts that will only slow the car down.

This will be a dedicated drag car so I can run it on Friday nights at Atlanta Dragstrip's test and tune nights. I have always wanted to drag race a car at the track so that is what the project is all about. I will also take it to parking lot show just to show something different. 

I was turned on to cars and drag racing at a parking lot show back in the late '60s when I saw my first full on drag car. That and getting a ride in a Bucket T got me building model cars and loving hot rods. I'd love it if some kid sees my drag car and gets the bug.

I have to build a workbench and move some things around because it's a tight fit working in a one car garage. I'll also have to look into getting a new LED shop light, because that 500 watt halogen does not help with the heat on a hot Georgia summer day. I'll keep it around for this winter.  :-)


No comments: